Monday, October 27, 2008

Antidotes

Have you gotten overwhelmed with the campaign? Local, state, and national candidates are bombarding us with such negativity that I have taken to fast clicking away from them as soon as I know it's a campaign ad. If it's the radio, I quickly switch it off, though I listen to NPR whose coverage is more interviews than ads.

What an opportunity to practice our prayer work. We know that our world needs change. We know that if we are to have peace in our lifetime, we must abandoned the rhetoric of fighting and embrace a message of reconciliation, forgiveness, and hope. Our prayers have never been more important.

Solid research, valid information, and critical thought are also essential to our thinking, including careful consideration of consequences. There is such a flap over abortion and whether or not it should ever be an option. Please consider, every time abortion has been illegal, the number of illegal, medically dangerous and disastrous abortions has climbed. Does that serve the cause of life? Is the life of the mother less important than the life of the fetus? These are essential questions, with no easy answers.

Combine the critical time in politics with what appears to be a global economic meltdown, we have much work to do. Please don't imagine that you cannot affect the outcome! Prayer may be the most important instrument.

For metaphysicians, it is a grand opportunity for separating the “wheat from the chaff” in our minds and our homes. A mental housecleaning would be in order considering the gloom and doom about the economy, the indecision of recession/ depression, and stock market woes. Of all times this is one for decisive action for our mental and spiritual health. For example if you experience anxiety over any of this, affirm, “God is my source. I love and approve of myself and I trust the process of life. I am safe.” An added blessing would be prayers for our world leaders, for the world’s economy, and seeing the world at peace and with its plenty distributed to all its creatures. As we hold on to old ways of thinking such as relying on the stock market, or getting anxious over our 401Ks or whatever outer appearance, we contract our opportunity to experience the flow of the Universe. So it’s time to release the power that these conditions have over us, and affirm, “I am filled with the joy of living, I deserve and accept the very best in life. God and I are enough!”

God loves you, and so do I.
Rev Martha

No comments: